The Healing Power of Foodservice
Dr. Veronica McLymont received her Doctorate in Organizational Leadership from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, a Master of Science degree in Nutrition from Hunter College, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Foods and Nutrition from Brooklyn College. She is a registered and certified dietitian/nutritionist, a certified professional life coach, and a lifestyle and wellness expert.
She has taught as an Adjunct Professor in a Master’s Nutrition program at Hunter College, and is a Past President of the New York Chapter of the Association for Healthcare Foodservice (AHF), a Past President of the Westchester / Rockland / Dietetic Association, and is currently on the Leadership Development Committee of the AHF National organization.
At the world-renowned Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK), where she spent 24 years, Dr. Mclymont played a key role in the development and launch of the groundbreaking room service program. She led teams in the dynamic improvement of Press Ganey patient satisfaction for Overall Meals, to 99th percentile rankings. She is a strong proponent of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and co-led a diversity Employee Resource Network for women. She has been a long-time partner with American Corporate Partners (ACP), a national nonprofit organization, where she provided year-long mentorship to veterans, as they transition into the civilian workforce.
She has been a supporter of the Harlem Education Activities Fund (HEAF), which provides educational and youth development and leadership opportunities to high-potential students in underserved communities throughout New York City with nutrition education.
Dr. Mclymont is the recipient of numerous awards:
- 2008–Voted Trend Setter by The American Society for HealthCare Foodservice Administrators.
- 2011–One of the 25 Most Influential Black Women in Business by The Network Journal.
- 2014—Recipient: “Gold Star” by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for successfully implementing all four for the Healthy Hospital Food Initiative standards; patient meals, cafeteria meals, food vending, and beverage vending at MSK.
- 2015-2018 and 2020–Under her leadership, Food and Nutrition received Practice Green Health’s Circle of Excellence awards for Top 10 Nationwide Performance for supporting sustainability at MSK.
- 2018-2020—Named one of the Top Women in Metro New York Foodservice and Hospitality by Total Foodservice Magazine.
- 2013—Recipient: the Isabelle A. Hallahan Award for Excellence in Foodservice Management from the New York State Dietetic Association.
- 2015—Recipient: Excellence in Management Practice Award from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- 2016—Recipient of the Exemplary Leadership Award from the Association of Healthcare Foodservice.
- She is the co-author of a chapter in the research textbook; Research: Successful Approaches, and the author of a chapter on “Nutrition Care of the Cancer Patient” in a Cancer Rehabilitation textbook, focusing on nutrition-related symptom management approaches.
- She has co-authored several research articles, given numerous lectures on nutrition and leadership related topics, and is sought after as a Food and Nutrition Consultant.
Hospitality News recognizes the many individuals who contribute innovation and expertise to the hospitality industry. If you know anyone deserving to be featured, please let us know.